For a few weeks every year, the Zanskar river freezes on the surface and the people of the remote Zanskar valley are able to make their way to Leh by walking on the river. The word "Chadar" means "sheet or blanket" and that's what it appears like when you walk over the white frozen Zanskar River. This is truly one of the world's greatest journeys. The trek is a demanding one and gives you all the thrills of a great adventure. Temperatures can plummet to as low as -30° and even though you walk through amazing landscape you have to be prepared for a really cold experience kept a little warm by glowing fires which we light up each evening at camp. The trek begins daily at around 9 am. By then the sun's up and blue skies bring cheer despite the cold temperatures. The trek goes along the Zanskar River in the region of Lingshed and constitutes a walk of around 15 days with 3850m / 12,628ft being the highest altitude reached but we will do a shorter version of the trail wherein we walk for about 6 days on the spectacular Chadar. Many of these spots cannot be accessed during the summer months as they go through spectacular deep canyons and gorges.
(9 nights 10 days)
- Day 1: Delhi- Leh (3500 M) Reach Leh and transfer to hotel. Rest of the day free to acclimatize.
- Day 2: Leh- Visit a few monasteries
close by Visit a few monasteries close by. You could also do shopping in the afternoon if you wish to.
- Day 3: Leh- Tilat Sumdo- Bakula Bawo
(3350M) 2 hrs drive and 6 hrs walk
- Day 4: Bakula Bawo- Tipyak Bawo
(3350M) 6-7 hrs walk
- Day 5: Tipyak Bawo- Neyrak (3400M) 6-7 hrs
- Day 6: Neyrak- Tipyak Bawo
- Day 7: Tipyak Bawo- Bakula Bawo
- Day 8: Bakula Bawo- Tilat Sumdo-
- Day 9: Leh- Pangong Tso (5360M) -
Leh- 4-5 hrs drive one way We shall have lunch over frozen Pangong
- Day 10: Fly back