Apr 20 - 27, Sep 29 - Oct 6 , 2014
(7 nights 8 days)
Travel deep into the unknown territory where we show you the most wonderful side of our country known only to very few. Your journey starts from Thanedar, the birthplace of apples in India and an orchard town. The Banjara retreat amidst the orchards is a serene place perfect for unwinding. Driving from Thanedar, we reach one of the most beautiful valleys of Kinnaur; Sangla, known for its massive towering mountains (remains of a moraine) on all sides and the beautiful Baspa River with good opportunities for trout fishing. From one amazing destination to another, we drive past deep gorges of Gandah Nallah to reach Sojha, ahead of Jalori Pass. Tall Silver oak trees, filling the roadside with Blue Iris, are a sight to behold. It also provides breathtaking sceneries and walks to nearby lakes and forts.
- Day 1: Chandigarh- Thanedar- 195 kms- 6 hrs Meet at Chandigarh airport/railway station at 1130 hrs. Drive
to Thanedar via Barog, Shimla
and Narkanda. Reach Thanedar in the evening.
Depending on your travel time, you will be able to see either apple blossoms or
apples. Evening around bonfire. Night stay in Banjara Retreat.
- Day 2: Thanedar- Tani Jubbar Lake and Hatu peak visit/ hike Visit the Tani-Jubbar Lake (2400M) which is famous for the
Nag-Devta temple. There on drive to the Hatu Peak
which, at 3352m offers a panoramic view of the snowline of Shrikhand
Mahadev Mountain. You could also hike up to Hatu peak
instead of driving. Picnic lunch at Hatu peak. Evening around a
bonfire. Nights stay in retreat.
- Day 3: Thanedar – Sangla- 165 kms/ 6 hrs We leave for Sangla after a leisurely breakfast. We drive down
towards Sutlej River. We drive along the river till
Karcham from where once again, we start climbing up the mountains to
reach Sangla. Reach Banjara camps ahead of
Sangla, early in the evening. After a cup of tea, we could go
for a short 1 km walk to the lovely little Batseri village.
Evening around a bonfire. Overnight stay at the camp.
- Day 4: Sangla Visit Chitkul (3,450M) - 20kms A day visit to the Chitkul village. This is the last village on
the old Indo-Tibetan trade route. From here, we can hike up to
Nagasthi, the last border outpost that civilians are allowed
to. It is a lovely 2.5 kms walk along a stream. Lunch along the glacier fed
mountain stream. Drive back to Camp in the afternoon. Rest of the day at
leisure. You could also try your hand at rappelling, rock climbing or river
crossing. Evening around a bonfire. Night stay in tents.
- Day 5: Sangla-Hike to Rakcham Today, we go for the signature walk of the valley. Drive to Rakcham
village where we cross the river and begin our hike back to the camp. This is a
6-7 kms long hike through thick forests, open skies, streams and walk by the
river. Reach back early afternoon. Lunch at camp. Rest after lunch else, try
your hand at Rock climbing, rappelling or river crossing. You could also go for
a short walk in the surrounding hills. Night stay at Banjara
camp and retreat.
- Day 6: Sangla - Shoja 194kms/ 7hr After breakfast, leave for Shoja. We drive back to
Rampur Bushehr (along Sutlej river) and then cross
over the river to start climb to Kullu hills. This is one of
the most picturesque and lesser known routes of Himachal. The
drive is along the Kandah Nallah gorge (more
like a river than Nallah). In summer, the Silver Oak forest
along the road is full of blue Iris. Cross over the Jalori pass
and into Sojha village (2700M). Spend the evening around a
bonfire. Night stay in Banjara Retreat.
- Day 7: Sojha- Serolser lake- Sojha- 10 kms drive and 12 kms hike total The hike to Serolser Lake is a beautiful one offering different
vistas of Himalayas. A well-defined trail takes one to the
lake. Few hundred meters on the trail and then you get in to the Oak forest. The
sun rays filtering through the tree cover, the blue of the sky through the
foliage, the up and down of the trail, an occasional sight of a bird, a clearing
showing the huge green vistas cascading down to the Sutluj
valley, all of this and more will keep you an enchanting company all the way to
the lake. The lake makes up in crystal clear clarity what it lacks in size. The
local belief is that no one has ever found a leaf floating in the lake though
leafy trees surround the lake itself. Lunch near the crystal clear waters of the
Lake. Hike back to Jalori pass and drive back to retreat.
Evening around a bonfire in retreat. Night stay in retreat.
- Day 8: Shoja- Chandigarh- 240 kms - 8 hrs Drive back to Chandigarh via Mandi and
Cost per person on twin share: INR 34500/-
1. Stay at Banjara retreats with meals (morning tea, breakfast, lunch, evening tea and dinner)
• Thanedar: Banjara Retreat- Rooms
• Sangla: Banjara Camp- Tents
• Sojha: Banjara Retreat- Rooms
2. Transport from Delhi- Delhi in Innova or similar.
3. Services of a guide for walks as per itinerary.
4. Wall climbing/ River Crossing/ Burma bridge.
5. A Banjara escort to accompany the group.
6. Service charge/ Tipping.
7. All applicable taxes.
Cost does not include:
1. Any beverages except those served on buffet table.
2. Any En route/ personal expenses.
3. Any expenses incurred due to factors beyond our control like a natural calamity/ man-made calamity.
4. Any air/rail fares.
5. Bottled mineral water (Aquaguard purified water is served free of cost at all our properties).